HUGO GYLDÉN’S COPY
Petropoli ... Petropoli apud Eggers et Socios. Rigae apud Samuelem Schmidt. Lipsiae apud Leopoldum Voss. 1860.
Thick 8vo (248 × 165 mm), pp. , xxx, 970; scratch at foot of title-page; some light offsetting only; contemporary half calf, rubbed, corners worn, small gouge to spine; ink ownership inscription of Hugo Gyldén (see below) to front free endpaper.
First edition of the library catalogue of the Pulkovo Observatory, edited and with a preface by Otto Struve (1819–1905), the Observatory’s director. A second part was published in 1880. Founded in 1839, the Observatory is the principal observatory for the Russian Academy of Sciences. Its library comprised almost 4000 books; sadly, most were destroyed by a fire (arson) in 1997.
From the library of the eminent Swedish astronomer Hugo Gyldén (1841–1896), who went to Pulkovo in the early 1860s to study the orbits of comets and planets, and where he developed a new model of refraction. Gyldén’s ‘Pulkovo refraction tables’ were widely used afterwards, and he was appointed ‘permanent astronomer’ at Pulkovo in 1863. In 1871, Gyldén was offered the directorship of the Stockholm Observatory, a position he held till his death.
Houzeau & Lancaster 113.